Les Charentes is an area north of Bordeaux city, known for the Cognac and Pineau des Charentes (an aperitif).
This part of France is also known for the architectural and historical patrimony. Here was the first capital of the roman Aquitaine: Saintes. In the town of Cognac was born the king François the 1st. Now in the town are the main “maisons” who sell all over the world the production.
The cognac country is a land where the mains arts are growing vines and making the best cognacs the ”The God's liqueur” and Pineau des Charentes, drink made from fresh grape juice and cognac that matures in oak barrels into a nectar.
Cognac, the medieval town which bears the name of the region, with its narrow medieval cobbled streets, elegant Renaissance facades and the castle where Francois 1st the king was born. It is here that the fabled nectar has been created since the 17″ century .
World famous firms or “maisons” as they are called are there such as Camus, Hennessy, Otard, Rémy-Martin… each distillery has its own secret and unique process for mixing the various blends of its eaux-de-vie.
- Pick up at your hotel or leisure place in Bordeaux and departure to Cognac
- Join a guided tour to learn about the double-distilling process that goes on in copper stills before the ageing in oak barrels where the precious liquor will improve, taking on its final bouquet and famous golden glow. In one of the famous mansions.
- Discover the vineyards of the Grande Champagne a peaceful countryside in the south of Cognac, a twenty-mile area called the ‘golden circle” of cognac production.
- In the heart of the Grande Champagne meet a wine grower who maintains traditions from generation to generation. and visit his own distillery and taste his production
- Return to Bordeaux
Saintes et Cognac
Saintes was the first capital of the roman Aquitania. Built in the 1st century AD on the banks of the Charente river. You will admire Germanicus Arch originally standing on a stone bridge in the town, moved on a bank of the river in 1843, the roman amphitheatre and St Eutorpe, a romanesque church classified by UNESCO. This town is also known for being the birth place of Mr Guillotin who became famous because of… his invention.
Cognac known all over the world for the production of the famous “gods liquor” The grande champagne is the heart of the best vineyards. Here are produced the best cognac and Pineau des charentes.
Discover the cultural heritage of that times, the landscape and Cognac making in a small estate.
Example of program :
- Pick-up by your driver at your hotel or leasure place and departure to Saintes.
- Discovery of Saintes and the main monuments. -Continuation towards the town of Cognac on the banks of Charente river.
- Free time for lunch.
- In the afternoon: the grande champagne see sighting tour, visit a traditional grower estate and taste the production (or visit a “grande maison de cognac Hennessy, Otard… ).
- Return to Bordeaux